Re: Anyone care to add the SQL and PL/SQL chapters?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:45:00 +0100

Nuno Souto wrote:

> I dunno who invented this but I still get a laugh out of it after all
> these years. The two before last are my own modest contribution.
> Anyone care to add the obvious SQL and/or PL/SQL section(s)?
>
> THE PROGRAMMER'S QUICK GUIDE TO THE LANGUAGES
>
> The proliferation of modern programming languages (all of which seem
> to have stolen countless features from one another) sometimes makes it
> difficult to remember what language you're currently using. This handy
> reference is offered as a public service to help programmers who find
> themselves in such a dilemma.
>
> TASK: Shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> C: You shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> C++: You accidentally create a dozen instances of yourself and shoot
> them all in the foot. Providing emergency medical assistance is
> impossible since you can't tell which are bitwise copies and which are
> just pointing at others and saying, "That's me, over there."
>
> FORTRAN: You shoot yourself in each toe, iteratively, until you run
> out of toes, then you read in the next foot and repeat. If you run out
> of bullets, you continue with the attempts to shoot yourself anyways
> because you have no exception-handling capability.
>
> ALGOL: You shoot yourself in the foot with a musket. The musket is
> esthetically fascinating, and the wound baffles the adolescent medic
> in the emergency room.
>
> Pascal: The compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.
>
> Ada: After correctly packing your foot, you attempt to concurrently
> load the gun, pull the trigger, scream, and shoot yourself in the
> foot. However when you try, you discover you can't because your foot
> is of the wrong type.
>
> COBOL: Using a COLT 45 HANDGUN, AIM gun at LEG.FOOT, THEN place
> ARM.HAND.FINGER on HANDGUN.TRIGGER and SQUEEZE. THEN return HANDGUN to
> HOLSTER. CHECK whether shoelace needs to be re-tied.
>
> LISP: You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds...
>
> SCHEME: You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
> which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds ...
> but none of the other appendages are aware of this happening.
>
> FORTH: Foot in yourself shoot.
>
> Prolog: You tell your program that you want to be shot in the foot.
> The program figures out how to do it, but the syntax doesn't permit it
> to explain it to you.
>
> BASIC: Shoot yourself in the foot with a water pistol. On large
> systems, continue until entire lower body is waterlogged.

> [...]

SQL: ALERT! There is a critical bug with bullet shooting in this release. You should not attempt to shoot your foot until release 9.1.3.2.4.3.4

PL/SQL: Procedure created with errors. Bullet shooting does not guarantee not to update your foot. Use pragma restrict_references.

--
Connor McDonald

http://www.oracledba.co.uk