Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:54:22 GMT

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:08:44 GMT, Christer Palm <palm_at_nogui.se> wrote:

>Nuno Souto wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:13:31 GMT, Christer Palm <palm_at_nogui.se> wrote:
>> >
>> >I was under the impression that the point here was that you _don't_ need
>> >HACMP?
>>
>> Nope. Ahem. Quoting from the same message, a little bit higher up:
>>
>> Not my words.
>>

>Hmmm... Maybe you should go back and read Serge's post again.
>Quoting the same message:
>
>> DB2 does not require special clustering software
> ^^^

I'm confused now. Are you saying that HACMP is clustering software? Or are you saying that AIX HACMP can support 32 nodes for DB2 without clustering? Then what's HACMP doing there? I mean, if DB2 doesn't need special clustering software but it runs on 32 AIX nodes *only* with HACMP, then exactly what is the definition of "special clustering software"?

>Referring to, I assume, that HACMP does not put the same limits on
>scalability as other clustering software solutions.

So HACMP provides a substitute for clustering? And how does it do that transparently and with no overhead whatsoever? Smoke and mirrors?

If it's that "transparent", then maybe it is not needed at all?

Careful, it's getting mighty confusing...

BTW, I know what HACMP used to do. Had to deal with that three years ago during a tender for SAP and ORACLE on AIX. It didn't do as much as you're saying. And I still don't fathom why the heck does DB2 need it in AIX to run on 32 nodes. Unless it's gained a "clustering" feature that wasn't there three years ago?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 10:54:22 CDT