Re: Solaris 8 - Oracle 9i - close to suicide......

From: pklosky <member_at_dbforums.com>
Date: 13 Aug 2001 10:10:26 -0500

Oracle 9 DB has been observed to run here on my Solaris 5.8, though it did require adjusting the /etc/system file for the semaphores and shared memory. It ran after the installer was done its typicall six hour install with numerous interaction points required, which is a mind-numbing all day job.

However, I have exactly the same experience that Oracle does not start on a reboot. We just had some heavy rain here near Sterling, Virginia in the US, and lost power. In general, the servers I have set up do "start on the key" in that the DB does shutdown and startup automatically with the OS. On other platforms, such as the Windows 2000 platform running Oracle 8.1.x, no special action is required to rig the OS to start Oracle. It runs fine, right "out of the box." While I understand there may be benefits to having manual Oracle starts, this is neither the default nor something I've had to do previously.

Clearly, my next action is to explore both manual startup commands and creating /etc/rc or /etc/init.d or /sbin/init scripts or what have you, using the Oracle docs at docs.oracle.com for a starting point.

I look forward to Oracle releasing their Oracle 9 DB on Windows 2000, though I am not aware of any timetable for them to complete this work. The Oracle implementation for Windows has been very different than their Unix ones in the past, so I would not be amazed to find out this is going to both take many months to complete and be very different, for no obvious reason than the developers had a personal interest in exploring every obscure feature available to them under Windows such as this type of thread or what have you, and a lack of understanding or interest in making their implementation similar to the existing ones. Really obvious items such as environmental variables have been pointlessly renamed, for example, adding to the admin difficulties.

The uninstaller is a horror and essentially does not work, btw, leaving many files behind