Re: RMAN duplicate from machine_A to machine_B

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 10 Aug 2001 04:28:48 -0700

as1543_at_hotmail.com (DBA) wrote in message news:<67932b2c.0108090618.65cf601f_at_posting.google.com>...
> devnull_at_ronr.nl (Ronald) wrote in message news:<67ce88e7.0108082221.6a0c0df_at_posting.google.com>...
> > as1543_at_hotmail.com (DBA) wrote in message news:<67932b2c.0108081108.772853b4_at_posting.google.com>...
> > > I tried to dup a test database on host A, and while I was looking for
> > > new datfiles to be created on host B, RMAN was trying to overwrite my
> > > production datafiles.
> >
> > Hi DBA ???
> > you should have copied the backupset to host B and run rman copy from
> > there. Nfs is a possibility to copy automagically. Have host C to
> > export a backup directory to both host A and B or export the backup
> > destination from host A to host B (or the other way round).
> >
> > In your case I would copy the files using rcp or ftp.

> Thank you for Responding.
> This brings up a few more "dumb RMAN questions"
> * If I FTP backupset to host B, the original RMAN catalog will not
> know about them.
> * If I create a host B catalog, do you know how to register the
> existence of the new host B backupset?
> * Can it be done without a catalog?

I would keep using the catalog. Be sure to copy the files to directories with the same name[s] as on host A. rman stores/reads the files local to the database so I can not imagine it checks for the original hostname. Do you use the correct copy syntax ? Don't create a host B catalog; just use the original one. Start the target instance nomount and perform the copy operation you want. It should work.

Maybe you should hire a consultant to help you out. Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Fri Aug 10 2001 - 06:28:48 CDT