Getting past the Exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: OiQueryFileRes - Oracle 8.1.5.0.0

From: John Ben Urban <jburban_at_lucent.com>
Date: 9 Aug 2001 13:50:33 -0700

I had this problem when I tried to install Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 for Sun SPARC Solaris 8 - CLIENT option on my Sun OS 5.7 / Solaris 7 machine.

There about a half dozen posting about this error with no solution listed.

I have loaded several other machines with this exact same CD so I used my existing notes on how to install. The only differences were: The other machines were large [large amounts of memory and disks], installed Solaris with the Entire Distribution option and installed Oracle Server [not just Client].

This Machine, a SPARCstation 5 was installed from scratch with only the "End User System Support" installed - not the "Entire Distribution". Because it only has a 1.03 Gig Hard disk.

When I first got this "OiQueryFileRes" java Exception, I thought it had to do with CLASSPATH or PATH but I checked my notes on how I loaded the larger machines and I didn't have to set CLASSPATH or PATH, so this could not be the problem.

I then re-read the installation and noticed it says you must have the following
packages installed: SUNWarc, SUNWbtool, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo,
 and SUNWhea

So, since the "End User System Support" does not include all of these, I put the Solaris 7 Installation CD back into the drive, cd'ed into the Product directory and ran package add on the ones I did not have installed

        cd /cdrom/sol_7_1199_sparc_sun_srvr/s0/Solaris_2.7/Product
        pkgadd -d . SUNWarc SUNWbtool SUNWlibm SUNWsprot SUNWhea

I shutdown and rebooted the machine.

I then ran the Oracle installation procedure again and AGAIN it died with the same java Exception.

So once again I re-read the installation guide and this time noticed it stated you need to have a minimum of 128 MB RAM. I reviewd my notes and when I originally updated my /etc/system file, my machine only had 64 Meg of RAM.

So I added another 64 Meg of RAM to my SPARCstation 5 and adjusted my shminfo_shmmax value in /etc/system to 67108864 [ 1/2 of 128 Meg], rebooted the machine and this time Oracle Installed perfectly - no java Exception.

So there must be some memory / java issue and at just 64 Meg the installation runs out of stream by bring it up to 128 Meg it solve the problem for me.

Hopefully these notes will help others. Received on Thu Aug 09 2001 - 15:50:33 CDT