Re: uploading external docs on the database.

From: Gene Hubert <gwhubert_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Aug 2001 11:22:36 -0700

Everything you need is in the dbms_lob package. You eventually will make a call to DBMS_LOB.LOADFROMFILE. You will need to create an Oracle directory to point to the OS directory where the files are located. Typically you would make the file name be the primary key for the record with an appropriate file extension. If I hadn't changed jobs recently I would have some example code lying around to show you. There are good examples in the docs for the dbms_lob package. Working with lob locators is fairly different from what you're used to with simple numeric and character columns.

Gene Hubert
Durham, NC