Re: how does oracle know where its configuration is?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 8 Aug 2001 23:33:26 -0700

oratune_at_msn.com (David Fitzjarrell) wrote in message news:<32d39fb1.0108080703.29d9b642_at_posting.google.com>...
> Sybrand did NOT mistype anything. The control files, where Oracle
> stores all of the database configuration information, ARE listed in
> the init file specified. The question asked was:
>
> 'When the database engine starts up, where does it look
> for its configuration that tells it where and how the database
> is laid out? I'm planning to use Oracle on a Solaris box if that
> matters.'
>
> This information IS found in the control file, NOT the init file.

Oh yes, I understand now. The sentence:
"In the controlfile located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora" puzzled me. I understand it that controlfile = $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora,
not destination of controlfile(s) written in initfile with this location.
Sorry my mistake.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader