Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces - any cons???

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 19:54:11 GMT

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 21:20:37 -0600, "Ron Gardiner" <rongardiner_at_powersurfr.com> wrote:

>New for 8i (I believe) is locally managed tablespaces...
>
>From what I've read, sounds like there is no reason NOT to use them. Can
>they be used for all types of TS?... rollback segs, temporary, how about
>system itself?
>
>Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hi Ron,

You cannot create a locally managed SYSTEM tablespace on database creation. But you can convert it to LM later with a supplied package.

The SYSTEM tablespace and the tablespaces for rollback segments must have the same extent management type, so if you convert the SYSTEM Tablespace to LMT, rememer to convert your RBS tablespace(s) to LMT as well.

Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA