Re: Locally Managed Tablespaces - any cons???

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 08 Aug 2001 09:33:19 +0100 (BST)

Ron Gardiner <rongardiner_at_powersurfr.com> wrote:
>New for 8i (I believe) is locally managed tablespaces...
>
>From what I've read, sounds like there is no reason NOT to use them. Can
>they be used for all types of TS?... rollback segs, temporary, how about
>system itself?
>
>Any feedback would be appreciated!

I *think*, but have not yet fully proven, that space-management operations may be slightly more expensive in a LMT than a dictionary managed one.

I was seeing significant HW enqueue waits on a index cluster during heavy insert (to many new cluster keys, thus many new blocks) in an LMT which were greatly reduced when I moved the cluster to a dictionary managed tablespace. However, I haven't had time to repeat the test or quantify the impact.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/