Re: Hotbackup's, Veritas Oracle agent, Interested in Backing up strategies!

From: Michael Nhan <mnhan_at_watson.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:37:35 -0500

Demandred wrote:

> I have a couple of Oracle Application's Instance's. The versions that
> I'm running is 11.5.4 which comes with Oracle 8i version 8.1.7.1.0. I'm
> currently trying to come up with a backup strategy that will work for
> me.
>
> My goals are to have a oracle database backed up nightly without
> shutting it off. I need a full backup everyday.
>
> Information that may prove useful I'm running Solaris 2.6.
>
> I'm really just curious as too what everyone one else uses to do this
> backup?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

We use netbackup with the oracle agent. Using a RMAN repository and two shell script I get nightly backup of the database. One shell script handles level0 and the other level2 incremental to make things clean. Backing up to a single tape/disk when the database is small is do-able, but when your database exceeds 50gigs, that gets to be rather difficult. It really depends on the size of the database you are dealing with and how much extra disk or storage you have available to you outside the database to play with. Backing up to disk is the fastest, but requires you have the space and hardware to handle it. Just my 2 cents.

Michael Received on Tue Aug 07 2001 - 14:37:35 CDT