Re: Backup & Restore

From: Uday <un2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2001 07:37:16 -0700

Hi Ganesh,
  Here's what you could do:

  1. Place the tablespace associated with the datafile in hot backup. sql*plus> alter tablespace <tablespace_name> begin backup;
  2. Copy the Datafile using an OS copy command to the destination (use appro.commands in case of raw datafiles ) OS:WinNT> copy source_file_name to Destination_file_name;
  3. Remove the tablespace from hot backup; sql*plus> alter tablespace <tablespace_name> end backup; That is all. You might want to make sure that the destination filename does reflect the date & time of the backup( viz. project.ora_080601_1530). Makes it easier to identify the file and makes the filename unique too. You might want script this process. Once scripted run it as a job from something like cron on unix so that it runs on a specific Day& TimeOfDay. Then as long as you have all the archivelogs after this backup you can restore the database till whatever point in time after the backup - in case you need to.

Uday