Re: Oracle 7.3.2 problem

From: David Gressett <gressett_at_airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:25:39 -0500

On Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:48:12 GMT, "res0ip3z" <res0ip3z_at_verizon.net> wrote:

>I have returned to working with Oracle after an absence of more than a year
>and my skills are a bit rusty.
>
>I have an Oracle 7.3.2 database running on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4. One of the
>disk drives, which contained only data files, failed and was replaced. The
>backup media was defective and could not be used. This, in itself is no
>major problem, as the amount of data is small and it can be easily reloaded
>from the original source.
>
>The immediate problem is that Oracle will not start properly when datafiles
>are missing.
>
>I have two ways of preceeding from this point, and I need help with both.
>
>1. Convince Oracle to start properly, so that I can create a replacement for
>the missing data file and reload the missing data.
>
>2. Re-install Oracle. This would require reloading all the data, but this
>only a minor inconvenience. The problem with this is that I can't find the
>(non-trivial) install instructions. The Oracle web site is no help. Support
>for Oracle 7.3.2 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 is long gone and all trace of it
>has vanished from the Oracle web site.

A helpful c.d.o.s reader informed me that the install instructions are on the cd. I couldn't find the file; if it's there, it is well-hidden. I scrubbed the existing Oracle files and reinstalled using the install instructions for Unixware as a rough approximation of what to do. The result is a database that fails to start for a different reason. This time I get

ERROR: ORA-1034: Oracle not available.
ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment. AT&T System V/386 Error 2: no such file or directory.

While reading through my various Oracle books, Web printouts, etc. before I did the install, I found something that might have been a solution to this problem - it involves manually creating a missing file - but I can't find it now and I can't remember the details.

What do I do now? Received on Mon Aug 06 2001 - 17:25:39 CDT