Re: Original Configure File

From: Tom Best <tombest_at_firstusa.com>
Date: 6 Aug 2001 04:39:32 -0700

"frank" <frankw_at_qd.lucent.com> wrote in message news:<9kl7t7$ag5_at_nntpb.cb.lucent.com>...
> Hello,
> I 'm new in Oracle, and my Question is when I want to Create a database
> manually, how do I use the init.ora file, how do I know I will use this
> init.ora file.
>
> I am using Windows NT4.0 and Oracle 8.1.6.
>
> Thanks in advance

Frank:

It is all based on the Oracle "SID" - (System ID). When this variable is set for your environment, Oracle looks for the initSID.ora file, where SID is replaced with the value of the ORACLE_SID env variable.

So, if you are going to enter a "create database" statement in SQLPLus, for example, in the DOS session, set ORACLE_SID to something like "ABC", and then create a file "initABC.ora" and that's what Oracle will use.

Hope this helps.
Tom Best Received on Mon Aug 06 2001 - 06:39:32 CDT