Re: Drop datafile

From: koert54 <k_at_k.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 19:42:09 GMT

The following procedure let's you erase that datafile completely. As always - be extremely carefull. Be absolutely sure no extents have been allocated in the added datafile !!! Allthough I've done this procedure a couple of times, I won't recommend doing this on your company's production servers !!! (I don't think Oracle will support it!) So - do it at your OWN risk !!!

Testcase:
create tablespace foo datafile 'd:\utl\foo01.dbf' size 1M ; create table t (i integer) tablespace foo ; insert into t values (1) ;
commit ;

alter database backup controlfile to trace ;

alter tablespace foo add datafile 'd:\utl\foo02.dbf' size 1M ; select name, file# from v$datafile ;
D:\UTL\FOO02.DBF 7 alter database datafile 'd:\utl\foo02.dbf' offline drop ; (in noarchivelog)

delete from file$ where file#=7 ;
commit ;
delete from fet$ where file#=7 ;
commit ;

shutdown ;

startup nomount ;
recreate the controlfile (without foo02.dbf !!!) alter database open ;
-> foo02.dbf never existed
select * from t;
-> 1

I've done this on a couple of TEST servers on NT and AIX ... they are still running but don't shoot me if you f*ck up your DB !

 ?