Problems with dba segments view

From: Kent Sauder <DKSauder_at_sauder.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:37:01 -0400

We are having a problem using the dba segments view. When we attempt to query the view, it locks with "buffer busy waits". If we query v$waitstat, this session is the only one attempting to access the specified file and block. Since dba segments is based on the view sys dba segs, I attempted to query that view. It works normally. Everything else in the database appears to be functioning normally and we aren't receiving any alert.log messages.

So far, I've tracked the problem down to two clauses within the dba segments view with both making calls to dbms space admin.segment number blocks. Naturally, this procedure is not documented.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this and more importantly, how to fix it?