Re: executing Sybase procedure from Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:56:00 +0200

"daniele stefanucci" <d.stefanucci_at_edisontel.it> wrote

> OK...this error????
> BEGIN "somma_credito"@smas_ccs.prod('PPA','99999','10000'); END;
> ERRORE alla riga 1:
> ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this
> message:
> [Transparent gateway for SYBASE]Stored procedure 'somma_credito' may be run
> only in unchained transaction mode. The 'SET CHAINED OFF' command will cause
> the current session to use unchained transaction mode.
> ORA-06512: at line 1

This is a Sybase error. ORA-28500 tells you that the remote database (Sybase) responded with an error code to your (Sybase) SQL.

The Sybase error is that the stored proc can only be run in "unchained transaction mode". What that means I have no idea (never worked with Sybase myself).

In cases like this, I think it is easier to conceptually think of Oracle as a client application and the Gateway as the ODBC or BDE driver. What would you do if you get this Sybase error in a VB or Delphi program? Then apply the same solution to the way you call this Sybase stored proc from Oracle.

--
Billy