Oracle Names: better with/without Region DB??

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:02:51 -0400

We have been running an Oracle Names server (version 8.1.6) for some months now *without* a Region DB & using the Dynamic Discovery Option for (8i) database services to register with it. It works pretty well. However, we have had some problems w/ it (for ex., getting the Names Server to "forget" obsolete service entries.) Oracle's usual response to my TARs on these issues has been to set up the server to use a Region DB, which I am now in process of doing.

Question: does anyone have any experience with a Names Server with & without a Region DB they could share? I'm asking because so far I have found things I do not like about the "with DB" configuration -- and I really the DDO feature that we are currently using.

Thanks

--
Vincent Ventrone
DBA