Re: tracing

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:18:39 +0200

"Eggie" <eggie_at_nospam.com> wrote

> Is it possible and if yes, how, to trace connections and
> psql s statements on a Oracle 8i personal server?

Network connections can be traced by turning on the trace option in the listener.ora configuration. This will give you who connected, what connection strings were used and so on. Only really useful when troubleshooting.

Oracle connections (sessions is a more correct term) can be "traced" via the V$SESSION and V$PROCESS views. Enabling auditing is also an option.

You can by default look at active SQL statements using the V$ and DBA views. But these are not intended for tracing and debugging SQL - more of a look-see when running into processes that are giving performance problems, to determine the current SQL and so on.

For debugging and tracing PL/SQL statements, you can use something the PL/SQL development tool that comes with Developer 2000. Years since I last used it, but it was pretty nifty at the time and included a step-by-step integrated debugger (very useful when you first start to bash you knees and head against PL/SQL.

--
Billy