Re: Listener not picking up all service names

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:49:58 -0400

Another possibility:

I wonder -- are you absolutely sure that both services are not being registered? I ask because
if you simply type "lsnrctl status|services" you get what's called a
"compatibility mode" display -- i.e, compatible w/ older Oracle versions.
There are other modes as well -- for example if I get inteo lsnrctl & types
"services I see a bunch of entries like these two (only the instance name is
shown):

  gfsand                has 1 service handler(s)
    DEDICATED SERVER established:521 refused:0
      LOCAL SERVER
  gfsand                has 1 service handler(s)
    DEDICATED SERVER established:521 refused:0
      LOCAL SERVER

In fact the service_names param. for this database is: service_names=(gfsand.world, gfsand.) (the trailing "." registers the name without sticking on a domain.) But in "normal" mode here is what I see:

LSNRCTL> set displaymode normal
Service display mode is NORMAL
...(snip)...
Service "gfsand." has 1 instances.

    Instance "gfsand"

        DEDICATED established:521 refused:0 current:0 max:0 state:ready
            Session: NS

You can see that the service names are now what I set them to in the init.ora. Get a copy of Note 113886.1 from M-L -- it states that in
"COMPAT" mode the SERVICES or STATUS cmds. will display the *instance* name,
not the service name!!!

--
Vincent Ventrone
DBA