Net8 tcp listener reconfigures to Random port after 45 seconds

From: Kevin Hunt <google.com_at_centropy.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 23:03:38 -0700

I just installed Oracle 8.1.7 for Linux (RedHat, modestly updated), but when I startup Net8, it works on port 1521 (where it is configured) for about 45 seconds, then stops responding. Attempts to connect via sqlplus show "ORA-12541: TNS:no listener", as if the listener is not running.

While the listener is running on 1521 and connections do work (for the first 45 seconds), the "lsnrctl services" command shows: Services Summary...
  PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)     DEDICATED SERVER established:0 refused:0

      LOCAL SERVER
  oralin                has 1 service handler(s)
    DEDICATED SERVER established:0 refused:0
      LOCAL SERVER

When the listener stop responding at port 1521, the same command shows:
Services Summary...
  PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)     DEDICATED SERVER established:0 refused:0

      LOCAL SERVER
  oralin                has 1 service handler(s)
    DEDICATED SERVER established:0 refused:0
      LOCAL SERVER
  oralin                has 2 service handler(s)
    DISPATCHER established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:16383 state:ready
      D000 <machine: bagheera, pid: 20499>
      (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1890))
    DEDICATED SERVER established:0 refused:0
      LOCAL SERVER

(Where 1890 is a seemingly random port) And if I make subsequest sqlplus connections using this new port everything works correctly!

Stopping then starting Net8 simply restarts the 45-second countdown to the port number being reconfigured.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I couldn't find any clues searching for this problem.

Thanks,
Kevin Hunt Received on Thu Aug 02 2001 - 01:03:38 CDT