Re: OPS raw devices questions

From: JimmyN1 <jimmyn1_at_aol.com>
Date: 02 Aug 2001 05:28:14 GMT

See Below as well:

The raw partition requirement is not an oracle thing. it's more an o/s thing. Oracle requires that the datafile be shareable to all the nodes in the cluster.  To my knowledge, cooked File systems do not have that capability as of now.

Q: *Everything* must be on raw, including Oracle data, redo log, and control files, is that correct?

  1. Yes
  2. -We're concerned with management of the raw partitions/devices/volumes. Is there anything more convenient for growing/changing the Oracle tablespaces/datafiles/partitions/devices/volumes on an ongoing basis ...
  3. precreate datafiles in your volume group at set sizes and add it to your database as needed. Add more shareable volume groups as needed.
  4. -We currently use Oracle hot backup, backup to files, dd the files to a separate area of the disk farm, and backup to tape from there. Does *everything* have to be raw, or, for example, can Oracle hot backup work from raw to filesystem, or could we dd from raw to filesystem, etc.
  5. Why do you currently do all that?
  6. -What about migrating the database from the existing (filesystem) to new (raw) environment. Is there any way easier than exporting and re-importing at the Oracle level?
  7. i'm assuming you're currently on 32bit oracle? to migrate to OPS you need to be 64bit oracle. you'll need to just shutdown your 32 bit. Install 64 bit. boot up from 64 bit engine. do a 32 to 64 bit word conversion. then do a cooked file to raw conversion. The convert to parallel server.
  8. What about disk space requirements. Will the new (raw) environment require more or less diskspace than the existing (filesystem) environment, for the same database. Does OPS itself require additional disk space, for the same database?
  9. keep your tablespaces about 1MB below the size of your raw partition and you should be fine.
  10. Tips, experience and/or pointers to reference material on this type of question very much appreciated!
  11. read the white paper. have good sys admins on hand.