Re: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available while creating database

From: Dave Jones <charleyandmillie_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 02:18:44 -0700

peanutlen_at_yahoo.com (Terence Chang) wrote in message news:<d5b78107.0107131126.1c06e6f_at_posting.google.com>...
> All:
>
> I have followed all posts here and on metalink, but still can not
> solve the problem when I create a new Oracle 8.1.7 database(12 times)
> by dbassist after install the database software(7 times). I always get
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available error.
>
> I have a machine like this.
> SUN Blade 100 with 512MB membory, 12GB disk space for /export/home
> which is the place to install oracle software and data files.
>
> This is the /etc/system file setting which is from the Oracle
> Installation Guide.
>
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=200
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
> set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
> set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767
>
> I have .profile setup correctly for the oracle user. When I use the
> dbassist to create a new database with all default settings, it stops
> at the screen which shows the progress to create database component
> (time, jserver, SQL*Plus Help etc) with ORA-01034: Oracle Not
> Available error.
>
> It creates the folder and generates the initSUNORA01.ora under
> $ORACLE_HOME/admin/.pfile with this data without any control files and
> data files. This is the content of the initSUNORA01.ora.
>
> db_name = "SUNORA01"
> instance_name = SUNORA01
> service_names = SUNORA01
> control_files = ("/export/home/oracle/oradata/SUNORA01/control01.ctl",
> "/export/home/oracle/oradata/SUNORA01/control02.ctl",
> "/export/home/oracle/oradata/SUNORA01/control03.ctl")
> open_cursors = 300
> max_enabled_roles = 30
> db_block_buffers = 18500
> shared_pool_size = 50518835
> large_pool_size = 614400
> java_pool_size = 20971520
> log_checkpoint_interval = 10000
> log_checkpoint_timeout = 1800
> processes = 150
> log_buffer = 163840
>
> I can do svrmgrl internal. It says the following errors.
> SVRMGR> show sga
> ORA-01012: not logged on
> SVRMGR> connect internal
> Password: oracle
> Connected.
>
> I also try to see if LISTENER is started. It is.
>
> $ lsnrctl status LISTENER
>
> LSNRCTL for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 13-JUL-2001
> 12:03:41
>
> (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=AZPHX01SV007)(PORT=1521)))
> STATUS of the LISTENER
> Alias LISTENER
> Version TNSLSNR for Solaris: Version 8.1.7.0.0 -
> Production
> Start Date 12-JUL-2001 11:30:34
> Uptime 1 days 0 hr. 33 min. 6 sec
> Trace Level off
> [...]

Hi!

You've probably solved your problem by now! However, I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I was installing Oracle. I thought that /etc/system was dynamic but it isn't, you have to re-boot for the changes to take effect. Once I'd done this all was well. You can check to see if your changes have taken effect by typing "sysdef|grep -i shmmax" (no quotes). Error messages tend to cover a multitude of sins and Oracle's are no exception. I hope this helped and was not too obvious. Received on Wed Aug 01 2001 - 04:18:44 CDT