Re: How to check if the Oracle server is running in 64-bit mode.

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 23:29:21 GMT

If you need to run 64-bit oracle, you need the 64-bit version of oracle database server software. Just check the oracle executible with "file $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle" and it will report whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit. Most likely yours is 32-bit, and it cannot use more than 2GB (or 4GB ?) of RAM.

Galen Boyer (galenboyer_at_hotpop.com) wrote:
: On 19 Jul 2001, lmcstmc_at_lmc.ericsson.se wrote:

: > Hi,
: >
: > I'm running Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8 and am having trouble
: > creating an SGA of 2 Gigs. There is enough physical memory and
: > /etc/system parameters are correctly set
: > (e.g. SHMMAX). metalink notes seem to indicate that a change to
: > sgabeg parameters will fix the problem

: How much RAM do you have?

: > 2) An Oracle support person questioned why I wanted to create
: > an SGA of 2 gigs. He said that 80% of the time, large SGAs
: > reduce performance.

: Well, he might have been told to say something that is really,
: "you don't want Oracle to take too much of the RAM, maybe 1/3-1/2
: is the rule-of-thunb.

: > Am I missing something here? I thought the more the memory
: > the better?

: I do believe this is the case.

: --
: Galen Boyer
: It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.