Re: # of db servers

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 08:37:19 +0200

"John McDowell" <john_at_velacarina.com> wrote

> My boss has asked me to try to get the number of DB2, Oracle, SQL Server,
> Sybase, and Informix database servers that are out there preferably from
> some authoritative source.

Tell him the numbers are x, y and z - and that these are as meaningful as real and actual values (if these were available at all).

Deciding on which database platform to use, based on the number of servers out there, is no different that selecting one using a coin toss.

Whatever happened to the tried and trusted method of looking at current and growing/future business requirements and then seeing what platform best can address these within the constraints (e.g. budgetary) of the company? Or is that too much thinking involved for you boss?

Sorry John, but I can not help not being sarcastic.. as I'm responding to your posting I have these vivid images of Dilbert's boss hovering there around the corner of your cubicle.

--
Billy