Re: Oracle client and winxp

From: Mark Veneziano <veneziano_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 02:50:35 GMT

Do you by any chance have a Pentium 4? Setup.exe does nothing on a P4 machine because of a problem with the Java Runtime Environment. If this is the case, you need to download JRE release 1.1.8-008 from java.sun.com. Install it, then go to C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.1 and copy the bin and lib directories over the ones in the Oracle 8.1.7 client installation area here:
stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30\1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32

Once I did the above I was able to run setup.exe and install and use the Oracle 8.1.7 client. If your Oracle client is older than this, you can download it at www.oracle.com after registering (for free) with them.

Good luck!

Mark V.