Re: Getting a List of SIDs on a network.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 08:05:40 +0200

"FaheemRao" <faheemrao_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> How I can get a list of SIDs on a local network,
> I know that Oracle Installer does that but How that
> I dont Know.

It does? You are not refering to the locally installed database and assuming that the ORACLE_SID environmental variable has been set?

> I need this because I need to Populate a list of Different
> SIDs on a Network in my Application Installer.

There are two ways to get a list of database system id's (SIDs - not to be confused with Session ID's which are also called SIDs for some twisted job protection kind of way). One is to look at the local TNSNAMES.ORA file. The other option is to use Oracle Name Server (assuming that all the database listeners are registering their SIDs with the Name Server). The OCI I believe provides calls to retrieve information from these.

Maybe if you tell us why you want a list of SIDs and exactly what you are trying to do, we can come up with a suggestion or three?

--
Billy