Re: shutdown immediate takes forever

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:47:58 GMT

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:27:36 -0700, "Akinwande Seigmund Walter-Johnson III" <asjohns_at_midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>There is no one on the machine except me, , shutdown immediate takes forever
>but shutdown abort is fine

Hi Walter,

Try this :

  1. Shut down abort.
  2. Startup open
  3. shutdown immedate *right after* the startup

If 3) shuts down quickly and easily, you have no problem. Then the lag was caused by "natural" things like rollbacks.

If the shutdown in 3) hangs, you may have a problem. I have seen such problems arise in connection with an upgrade which was interrupted. Have you updated your system recently ?

Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA