Orainst hangs on Redhat 7.2

From: Mark & Kristi Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:15:04 -0400

I am new to Linux but I have installed Oracle on NT dozens of times. I know the Oracle Installer can be a little quirky but I have never run across this problem. I'm not sure if it related to the installer, the JRE or Red Hat.

I am trying to install 8.1.7 on a clean Red Hat 7.2 machine, but trying to run the runInstaller script seems to hang. If I do a ps I can see the JRE is running but no window appears.

I have seen installer problems related to memory but this machine has 256M of RAM, so I don't think it is that. I am running the script as user oracle using the /bin/sh shell. I have not set the ORACLE_BASE or ORACLE_HOME environment variables since the software is not installed and the directories don't exist yet. Under NT, the installer sets these for you, is this not the same with Linux?

Any help would be appreciated. Received on Mon Jul 30 2001 - 10:15:04 CDT