Re: Integrating with HP OpenView

From: Erwin Dondorp <erwindon_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 04:28:32 +0200

Vikas Agnihotri wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience working with HP OpenView?

        Yes, but dow you mean NNM, ITO, VPO, etc.?

> Where can I get the 'opcmsg' command that talks to OpenView to send it
> alerts / messages?

        All OpenView software is installed under /opt/OV

> I am trying to integrate our database monitoring tool (Quest I/Watch)
> with OpenView and it calls this 'opcmsg' command.

> In general, how does Oracle OEM support OpenView? Could someone please
> provide details? Does it use 'opcmsg' or something else?

	Oracle does not support OpenView directly.
	You can use the SNMP traps that are send by the Oracle Intelligent
	agents, or:
	The OEM Console can track all open problems and send a message
	to e-mail and/or pager.
	I checked early this year for a "smart-plugin" that handled
	information from OEM and the HP website did show one.
	But it tied the OEM version to the HP/OV ITO version,
	v5 with 2.1 and v6 with 2.2, which is a maintenance nightmare.
	So we took a simpler approach and wrote a script (sh+sql) that
	dumped all OEM messages in a logfile. The HP/OV ITO logfile
	monitor picked these up.

	Erwin