Re: 8.1.6 or 8.1.7

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:03:30 +0100

"Daniel A. Morgan" <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com> wrote in message news:3B61BEDF.ABA30FA7_at_attws.com...
> Bryant wrote:
>
> > Has anyone found any real advantage to upgrading from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7.
> > So far none of the applications we use need it but just wondering if
> > we were missing anything special.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> 8.1.6 is buggier. If you are bumping into the bugs that is a good reason.
> Otherwise I'd go to 9i this late in the game.

I'd second this with the proviso that you carefully test the 3 candidate versions for bugs that affect your setup. We have hit a bug in 8.1.7 that prevents us from deploying it for our intranet applications, and 9i is still a version .0.1 release so you can expect bugs in that as well. Of course you may well find 9i cheaper, which could be a compelling argument.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Legal disclaimer required by my employer
**
This email contains information intended for the addressee only.
 It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional
privilege.
Any dissemination, distribution, copyright or use of this communication
without prior permission of the addressee is strictly prohibited.
**