Re: OPS raw devices questions

From: Robert Fazio <rfazio_at_home.com.nospam>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 18:54:14 GMT

See Below

--
Robert Fazio
Senior Technical Analyst
dbabob_at_yahoo.com

"Randy Broman" <rbroman_at_bayarea.net> wrote in message

> We're currently running Oracle ("non-Parallel Server") on VxVM/VxFS on
> Solaris 2.6, and wanting to go to Oracle Parallel Server 8.1.7,
> SunCluster
> 3.0 on Solaris (2.)8. As we understand it, this requires us to change
> from filesystems to raw partitions. [BTW Oracle 9i, which apparently
> removes
> the raw partition requirement, is not an option for other reasons].
> Questions:
>
> -*Everything* must be on raw, including Oracle data, redo log, and
> control files, is that correct?
Yes, and it must be done inside of a clustered shared volume (the shared part is what allows oracle to run OPS)

> -We're concerned with management of the raw partitions/devices/volumes.
> Is there anything more convenient for growing/changing the Oracle
> tablespaces/datafiles/partitions/devices/volumes on an ongoing basis ...
>
> than manually creating new
> tablespaces/datafiles/partitions/devices/volumes
> and unloading reloading to the new ones??
As long as you grow the raw devices first (Oracle TS is always one block smaller than the raw device). And also shrink the TS first before the raw device. All should be OK.

> -We currently use Oracle hot backup, backup to files, dd the files to
Why?
> a separate area of the disk farm, and backup to tape from there. Does
> *everything* have to be raw, or, for example, can Oracle hot backup work
> from raw to filesystem, or could we dd from raw to filesystem, etc.
You could do the above, but I am not sure why you are doing it that way. Why not just backup the database directly to tape, or at least write the backup files to the area that you really want to backup.

> -What about migrating the database from the existing (filesystem) to new
>
> (raw) environment. Is there any way easier than exporting and
> re-importing at the Oracle level?
Just put the DB in mount mode. Create a raw device 1 block larger than the current datafile. dd the current file to the raw device. Rename the file (inside oracle) to the new raw device. You can also write the controlfile to trace, do all the dd's, then edit the trace file, and run it.

> -What about disk space requirements. Will the new (raw) environment
> require more or less diskspace than the existing (filesystem)
> environment, for
> the same database. Does OPS itself require additional disk space, for
> the same
> database?
No, but it does require more memory.

> Tips, experience and/or pointers to reference material on this type of
> question
> very much appreciated!
Good luck, and be very very cognizant of issues with pinging.