Re: Oracle for AIX doubt

From: Venelin Efremov <veneff_at_usa.net>
Date: 27 Jul 2001 00:03:09 -0700

"Daniel A. Morgan" <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com> wrote in message news:<3B3CC0DB.26C03CCC_at_attws.com>...
> Cristian Veronesi wrote:
>
> > We are currently running Oracle on a desupported platform (SCO
> > Openserver) so we have to choose a new OS. We wish to stay with Unix. I
> > read a Metalink document that affirms that, starting from 9i, the only
> > unix systems supported will be Tru64, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and Linux. I
> > would like to move to AIX but in the "General Notes For Oracle Server -
> > Enterprise Edition On IBM RS/6000 AIX" appears this sentence: "There are
> > no current projected certifications for the new AIX 5L on 9i."
> > I'm really confused. How can Oracle say that he will support AIX if he
> > refuses even to project to certificate his product on the new OS
> > release?
> >
> > Best regards, Cristian
> >
> > --
> > Cristian Veronesi ><((((º> http://www.crpa.it
> >
> > "Ma quella roba bianca sopra non è zucchero vanigliato. E` muffa.
> > E tutti lì a dire: che buono, sa di funghi!" (A. Baricco)
>
> I am not sure what you are looking at as Oracle supports more UNIX platforms
> than just those you listed. Check out this web site:
> http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/availability/index.html?content.html.
>
> But the first choice is always Solaris as that is the first platform on
> which Oracle releases not just its software ... but also enhancements and
> bug fixes. The exception would be if you are already an HP/UX or AIX or
> other shop and have in-house resources that more than compensate for any
> delays.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan

Those are supported platforms for Oracle 8i, the new 9i release is much more troubled. I have experienced enomous problems with Linux. The AIX 5.1 is defenetely not working - it complains that executables are deprecated format and fails to relink on top of that there is only 64 bit verssion available for AIX and the only os supported is 4.3.3.

Venelin Received on Fri Jul 27 2001 - 02:03:09 CDT