Re: aix installation

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2001 09:11:08 -0500

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, avners_at_alon-sys.com wrote:

> After installing Oracle 8.1.7 as a typical AIX 4.3.3
> installation I get the following error:
>
> Attempting to contact
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=aix)(PORT=1521)) TNS-12538: TNS:no
> such protocol adapter
>
> It seems that TCP is not installed, but I have a fully
> functioning TCP/IP in AIX (ping, telnet, ...).

This is a good candidate for the Coop FAQ. Looking at Oracle's documentation on this error,

,----[ http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76999/tnsus.htm#1000527 ]

| TNS-12538 TNS:no such protocol adapter
|
| Cause: The protocol adapter requested (by way of the
| "(PROTOCOL=..)" keyword-value pair in a TNS address) is
| unknown. If the supplied address is typographically correct then
| the protocol adaptor is not installed.
|
| Action: Install the protocol adapter or correct typographically
| error, as appropriate. Note: if the supplied address was derived
| from resolving the service name, check the address in the
| appropriate file (TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA or TNSNET.ORA).
`----

I am trying to recreate this error on my system so that I can understand when it is a "typographical error" versus an "adapter not installed error". I think the first thing to check would be that names don't match up, but not being able to recreate it by deliberately mucking with the files makes me wonder.

    When I change the tnsnames.ora entry I get     ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

    When I shut the listener down I get
    ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

Another question would be, what is the adapter command on windows? It is adapter on UNIX?

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.