Re: What is Parallel DML?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:28:36 +0100

Take a table of 16,000 blocks where 50%
of the blocks are buffered. Assume a 16 block mbrc

If the first 50% are buffered, then the scan will skip them and use 500 read requests to get the rest of the table.

If every other block is buffered, the scan will read one, skip one, read one, skip one ... and use 8,000 read requests to get the
rest of the data.

NB This is the traditional approach -
however Oracle has now introduced the
'non-contiguous multiblock read count'
and prefetching for index scans - and
I haven't checked if it makes use of the same trick in this tablescan case.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.