OPS raw devices questions

From: Randy Broman <rbroman_at_bayarea.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 16:15:55 -0700

We're currently running Oracle ("non-Parallel Server") on VxVM/VxFS on Solaris 2.6, and wanting to go to Oracle Parallel Server 8.1.7, SunCluster
3.0 on Solaris (2.)8. As we understand it, this requires us to change from filesystems to raw partitions. [BTW Oracle 9i, which apparently removes
the raw partition requirement, is not an option for other reasons]. Questions:

-*Everything* must be on raw, including Oracle data, redo log, and
control files, is that correct?

-We're concerned with management of the raw partitions/devices/volumes.
Is there anything more convenient for growing/changing the Oracle tablespaces/datafiles/partitions/devices/volumes on an ongoing basis ...

than manually creating new
tablespaces/datafiles/partitions/devices/volumes and unloading reloading to the new ones??

-We currently use Oracle hot backup, backup to files, dd the files to
a separate area of the disk farm, and backup to tape from there. Does *everything* have to be raw, or, for example, can Oracle hot backup work from raw to filesystem, or could we dd from raw to filesystem, etc.

-What about migrating the database from the existing (filesystem) to new

(raw) environment. Is there any way easier than exporting and re-importing at the Oracle level?

-What about disk space requirements. Will the new (raw) environment
require more or less diskspace than the existing (filesystem) environment, for
the same database. Does OPS itself require additional disk space, for the same
database?

Tips, experience and/or pointers to reference material on this type of question
very much appreciated! Received on Fri Jul 27 2001 - 18:15:55 CDT