Re: turn off/on case insensetive search in Oracle DBMS

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:18:29 -0700

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> In article <9jrs1g$16b$1_at_reader-00.news.insnet.cw.net>, "Andy says...
> >
> >Yes, you could do this - for most developers though this is totally
> >impractical.
> >
> >It's just another thing that ORACLE doesn't cater for...Ohh, sorry, I mean
> >doesn't lower itself to the level of all the other RDBMS.
> >
> >.
>
> since I can:
>
> create index on t(upper(field1));
>
> allowing for
>
> select * from t where upper(field1) = :x
>
> to use an index, why is this impractical?
> http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/article1/index.html
>
> Additionally, there is interMedia Text which gives infinitely many more options
> for searching text (stop words, near, and, or, fuzzy, soundex, stem, etc....).
> It by default indexes in a case insensitive fashion. You can make it case
> sensitive if you like.
>
> http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/inter.816/a77063/toc.htm
>

> >FB
> >
> >"Thomas Liang" <liangluosheng_at_china.com> wrote in message
> >> you can write
> >> SELECT * FROM table WHERE UPPER(field1)='name'

> --
> Thomas Kyte (tkyte@us.oracle.com) http://asktom.oracle.com/
> Expert one on one Oracle, programming techniques and solutions for Oracle.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861004826/
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corp

I read this question very differently than you did. Turning off a search I interpreted as being a "switch" that could be flicked back and forth at will. A function based index will solve the problem. But you'll need to drop and rebuild the index to reverse it.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri Jul 27 2001 - 14:18:29 CDT