Re: What is Parallel DML?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2001 20:59:14 -0500

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za wrote:

> Oracle now uses 50 process for the query. The big table is
> broben up into 50 chunks - Oracle modifies your SQL query
> slightly and add a WHERE clause to it. WHERE rowid BETWEEN :a
> AND :b

This would fail if I tried to do it myself. A BETWEEN is effectively < x and > y and the > y for rowid will fail to find rows. But I'm sure Oracle knows how to do it.

How could we mimic PQ by splitting up the query ourselves into 50 different queries and then running them all at the same time? Could this be done and get the pretty much the same result that Oracle does (Disregarding the final count, just get fifty answers)?

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.