Re: What is Parallel DML?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:09:00 +0100

You don't mention it, but I hope you remembered the side-effects of delayed block cleanout. The change from 40-60 seconds to 'a few seconds' seems a bit extreme for simply doubling up to 2 PQ slaves - I wouldn't have expected anything better than a 2x improvement.

Another factor which could help to explain the difference, though:
The serial scan may have found numerous blocks in the buffer already, and therefore had to skip them on the serial scan, hence producing much smaller multiblock reads. On the other hand PQ scans are direct and 'always' do a full MRBC on their scans.

On the down side, PQ scans flush dirty blocks to disk before starting to read - which could produce differences in performance between test cases and production systems (and would tend to favour PQ tests run immediately after restarting Oracle).

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html

Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.

Billy Verreynne wrote in message <9johq6$g0n$1_at_ctb-nnrp1.saix.net>...

>I loaded the Oracle 7.1 table with a bunch of detailed claim rows for a
specific
>medical aid plan, for a specific month. I choose the smallest of the
plans -
>where about 35,000 claims are received per month. The easiest way to test
PQ is
>a simply SELECT COUNT(*). This uses a full table scan. The SELECT COUNT(*)
>without PQ took as I recall, about 40 to 60 seconds to complete. Shutdown
and
>reboot the machine. Then I ran the SELECT COUNT(*) with 2 PQ's. The
response was
>within a few seconds. After that I experimented with more PQ's - running
NT's