Re: Oracle8i Data Guard

From: Steeve Boulanger <sboulanger_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 26 Jul 2001 08:26:42 -0700

Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com> wrote in message news:<3B4A673A.4BB69F4A_at_home.com>...
> Rob K wrote:
>
> > Is anyone currently using this failover technology in their production
> > environment? We need a failover database for our read/write environment and
> > I came across some documentation about Data Guard. I was looking for some
> > feedback on your experiences installing and managing data guard. Any
> > limitations with this technology, does the product work as stated?
> >
> > Thanks Rob
>
> Rob,
>
> what platform?
> Data Guard is a 9i feature.
> FailSafe has been around since 7.3.4 (on NT)
> Check for hi - avail docs anywhere - such as hotsos.com, technet, metalink and
> ioug.org
>
> hth,
>
> paul

Hi,
Please note that Data Guard is available for 8i as well. Latest version is 2.6.2 (Sun Solaris). Data Guard is a wrapper over a standby database; it will automates all the steps required to failover or switchover to the standby database. If combined with a Remote Mirroring technology (e.g. EMC SRDF in
 synchronous mode) to mirror the online redo logs on the standby host, it should help you acheive a 100% no data loss.

We're currently testing this solution on Solaris 2.7 with Oracle 8.1.7.1 EE. No plans for our production environment yet. It would be interesting to hear from someone who's currently using Data Guard in a PROD environment.

As Paul mentionned, FailSafe could be an option if you run on NT.

Steeve Received on Thu Jul 26 2001 - 10:26:42 CDT