How does a table scan effect the cache?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:57:43 -0400

When a full scan is done on a table, it's my understanding that the blocks read go to the least recently used end of the LRU list. Does that mean that every time the scan reads a group of blocks (db_file_multiblock_read_count to be exact), that the same blocks at the end of the LRU list keep getting replaced on each read? So assuming my dbfmbrc = 16, and no other access is happening against the table, and the table is large enough to not be cached at the top of the list, I would never have more than 16 blocks of that table in the cache? Is my understanding on this correct?

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked;
for whatever a man sows, this he will also
reap." (Gal 6:7 NASB)