Re: Possible Virus Warning

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:04:43 +0200

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:996080153.12349.0.nnrp-01.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> I've had three copies of email over the last
> 24 hours with the a subject like:
> Media Log
> or
> Advice
>
> and the message
> Hi! How are you.
> I send you this file in order to have your advice
> See you later
>

> There is a file attached which is a Windows
> executable that I assume is some form of virus.
>
> I suspect the targetting may be related
> to the newsgroup and the 'report.txt' analysis
> that we started doing recently.
>

> --
> Jonathan Lewis
>
> Host to The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>
> Author of:
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html
>
> Seminars on getting the best out of Oracle
> See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
>
> Screensaver or Lifesaver: http://www.ud.com
> Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.

It definitely is a virus, though I didn't see any assocations with Oracle report.txt reported.

It reads your windows address book and/or any e-mail addresses you may have in memory due to using a browser, to distribute itself. Check of the website of your virus software supplier, most majors already have patches available.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jul 25 2001 - 12:04:43 CDT