Re: RMAN and split mirrors

From: David Pomphrey <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:01:14 +0100

What is the bottleneck with rman currently?

  Network? - use BCVs and mount the split mirrors on a backup server that is locally attached to the tape drive(s) / library.

  EMC Luns? - use BCVs (split) to reduce the hit on your production Luns.

  Tape spooling? - well then maybe you should use BCVs (split maybe twice a day) as 'snapshots' which could be used quickly to restore the datafiles. Might be a good idea to mount these BCVs to another host just to give them a dbverify check. If all looks good, then you could, in an emergency, re-synchronise from the BCVs if the production instance needs to be recovered.

  There is lots more to it when you get right down to it but these could act as start-off points for some discussions.

  Secondly, I can't pick up on what you mean about using or not using RMAN. Surely the usefulness of RMAN compared to home-grown shell scripts is a no-brainer?

  D.P.