Re: Max size for a datafile

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 24 Jul 2001 15:20:24 +0100 (BST)

@nnibale <annibale_at_ifrance.com> wrote:
>hi,
>
>I work on a TRU64 - 4.0e unix server with oracle 8.04 installed.
>What is the max (or reasonable) size for a datafile on a unix environment ?

Tru64 doesn't have the old 2GB limit - at least on advfs or raw.

The limit will be the number of blocks Oracle allows in a single datafile, which is platform specific, but IIRC is 2^22 on that platform (check, I could well be wrong).

That would allow 32GB datafiles with an 8kB block size.

The usual set up I have is 30GB datafiles on raw disk, which seems to work on all the platforms I use (AIX,HPUX,Solaris,Tru64).

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/