Re: Oracle with RH or with Suse?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:29:28 GMT

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Yann Helloco wrote:

> I want to set up Oracle8.1.7 on a Linux based server, but with which
> distrib (RH or Suse) Oracle will give support in the futur? does someone
> have any information?

I heard a rumor that Oracle was trying to involve Red Hat in some ERP project that involved NT, and Red Hat balked. Supposedly, it is here that the bad blood began.

Since then, we've seen the release of the "Red Hat Database" distribution. While it is no threat to Oracle, it has probably been the subject of considerable annoyance.

What worries me is the ReiserFS file system. Suse uses it, but Red Hat insists that it corrupts itself under heavy load, and the fsck tool is incapable of fixing anything more serious than a journal replay. It has also had serious problems with NFS.

Plus the fact that Suse just laid off 70 people...

   / Charles J. Fisher              | "A fanatic is one who can't change his /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            |  mind and won't change the subject."  /
 /   http://rhadmin.org             |                 -- Winston Churchill /