Re: TNS Protocol Adapter error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:32:04 +0200

"Alan" <Alan742_at_excite.com> wrote in message news:438b9600.0107241024.3b891d2c_at_posting.google.com...
> I've checked your user group and still I do not have an answer.
> Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000. The setup complete, I go into the
> database configuration assistant, go through all the steps. It starts
> building and comes up with the famous "TNS Protocol Adapter error". I
> checked the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora, all seems to be configured
> correctly. I've been playing all day, with HUGE frustration. HELP,
> please.

Two comments:
'and still I do not have an answer'

This is *NOT*, I repeat *NOT* Oracle support, this a volunteer group!!!!!

Also, Oracle comes with a net8 troubleshooting manual.

Secondly:
without posting your listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora, which you claim to be correct, no one can resolve your problem. If you used one of the assistants and you have a proper install, it just should work. If you hacked those files manually, you just might have messed up. You always can enable tracing (how to do this is in the net8 troubleshooting guide), just to provide more detail than 12560.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 13:32:04 CDT