Re: Downloads from Oracle don't work

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:08:22 GMT

Venki Ramachandran wrote:

> I have tried to download and unzip 901solaris_disk1.cpio.gz three times
> already. No fre%#&ng luck!!!! 'gunzip' on solaris says that
> 901solaris_disk1.cpio.gz is not in valid zip format. I used 'unzip' on
> it and it crapped out with a series of messages. 'unzip' worked on disk2
> and disk3, the other two parts of the 9i download, but refuses to work
> on the disk1 part. Am I the only one having this problem or people just
> don't try the downloadable software?
>
> For a company that charges so much money for its products, you would
> expect that they would put out a decent downloadable software with
> instructions. This sucks!!!
>
> -Frustrated with Oracle

Hi Venki,

I have been able to work with these disks, just try the following if you haven't already:

        Make sure you specify binary transfer when ftping (ie FTP> bin)

	Use the OS commands to verify what you have: Use the "type filename"
	command (ie. % type 901solaris_disk1.cpio.gz) after downloading. You
	should get: 901solaris_disk1.cpio.gz: gzip compressed data - deflate...

	Use gzip -d to unzip the files individually

	Use the cpio command given on the web page to uncpio the files.

Good luck,

-Dirk Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 14:08:22 CDT