Re: An astonishingly slow DB opening

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 23 Jul 2001 23:12:14 -0700

fquednau_at_realfiction.net (F Quednau) wrote in message news:<5650f27e.0107230856.1535777_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello there people,
> I am confused and I don't even know to which group to post.
> I have a win2k SP2 connecting through ADO 2.6 SP1 and Oracle Client
> 8.1.7 to an Oracle Database 8.1.6
>
> From a VB component in Comp. Services (does not support transaction) I
> connect through ORAOLEDB.Oracle and it takes me currently almost half
> a minute (!) to connect first time. After pooling kicks in, the stuff
> is as I got used to again.
> The same connection built into a VB App takes about 2 seconds on the
> same machine, the sort of number I got used to throughout other
> setups.
>
> Anyone knows how this sort of behaviour can occur? And while I am
> here, does the Oracle MTS Service have any relevance in the win2k
> world of com+ ?
>
> Here the connect thing, indeed unchanged within the component and the
> application
> --> time here
> Set DBCon = New ADODB.Connection
> With DBCon
> .Provider = "OraOLEDB.Oracle"
> .Open "alias", "user", "pwd"
> End With
> --> time here. COM + half a minute, application 2 seconds for first
> connect. AARGH!

I think that you post this message to the wrong conference. It doesn't sound like oracle problem, maybe Visual Basic developer conference is better one.
Try to connect via SQL*Plus or something similar, if it connect quickly, then problem is in drivers or VB. If not, then all is more interesting, but still it can be a network issue.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader