Re: Selecting a range of records

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:18:40 +0200

<jabelsc_at_yahoo.com> wrote

> I want to make a select of a table with a great amount of
> records and I only want to select only a range of them, for example,
> records between number 32 and 112.

If I understand correctly, that means creating a sequence, then using that sequence as the unique number generator for all rows inserted into the table. The first row loaded, will have number 1, the second, number 2 and so on.

E.g.
CREATE SEQUENCE my_seq
  START AT 1; INSERT INTO my_large_table ( row_num, col1, col2, ... ) VALUES ( my_seq.nextval, data1, data2, ... )

> Is it posible to include a range in a select query in Oracle?

SELECT
  *
FROM my_large_table
WHERE row_num BETWEEN 32 and 127

> I've heard that it's possible in Informix, I think.

Anything Informix can do, we can do better. ;-)

> What I want to do with it is decrease the traffic between
> Oracle and a JSP application we have in different servers.

A noble cause. Pity that we can not shoot the Bad and Stupid Users... :-)

--
Billy