Re: Which platform is better?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:57:34 GMT

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Paul R. Johnson wrote:

> 1. Have an AIX expert audit the system for performance and add
> memory, disks, etc as necessary. Then have an Oracle DBA do the same.
> I am currently using a contract DBA. I think that we can get more out
> of this machine.
> 2. Buy an new NT/2000 server. This is where I would know what I was
> talking about and able to make recommendations. I am looking at a
> dual Xeon 700mhz/1mb cache, 2+gb ram, 8 9gb hard drives configured for
> RAID 10. This should be a speedy box.

Hey, here is another option:

3. Buy your new NT/2000 server. Erase NT/2000, and load Solaris x86.

Why would you want to do this?

  1. The OS is free for up to 8 processors (you can buy support if you want)
  2. Oracle works pretty well. 8.1.7 is available, I don't know about 9.
  3. A journaling filesystem is included (must mount UFS with the "logging" option).
  4. If you do decide to move to Solaris Sparc, the migration shouldn't be hard, and you would get:
  5. All the newest Oracle software first, since they like Sparc,
  6. 64-bit support.

A lot of people will laugh at me and say that you should load Linux, but I am beginning to disagree. RedHat and Oracle have had some sort of major feud, and now Oracle only supports the Suse distribution for 9i. Suse uses the "ReiserFS" journaling filesystem, and RedHat swears that you can get major corruption under high load or if fsck has to fix anything more complex than a journal replay.

Suse also just announced that it is laying off 80 people or so (Oracle buyout rumors are starting...).

You may want to stay away from Oracle on Linux for awhile, in any case.

   / Charles J. Fisher                   | "Waste no more time arguing what  /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org                 |  a good man should be. Be one."  /
 /   http://rhadmin.org                  |   -Marcus Aurelius              /