Re: Which platform is better?

From: googleyed <buknbro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2001 18:08:30 -0700

Having worked on both platforms, I would have to say stay with the RS/6000. Oracle on NT is like putting the Mercedes hood ornament on a Ford Pinto.
Anyways, you definately want to stay with a flavor of Unix. I'm not really partial to one over the other. I was running Oracle 8 in an RS/6000, and it was great, very good performance, reliable. We then switched to Solaris on an E10k, so needless to say it got even better. Currently we are slowly migrating our Oracle on NT to Oracle on HP-UX and hopefully even Linux. Linux offers the ability to use our existing hardware while at the same time improving performance and reliability. I've run comparisons of our sales database (NT 750mhz 512mg) on Oracle 816 (Redhat 400mhz 128mg) and the Linux beat it hands down. Received on Mon Jul 23 2001 - 20:08:30 CDT